Thursday, March 12, 2009

Special Classes

Apparently, beginning in two weeks, I will start teaching a series of 'special classes.' This is about all that I know on the subject.

After a short trip to DYB's Main Branch in Daechi a few weeks ago, I learned that the classes are known as R&D, or, Reading and Debate Class. This was somewhat of a relief to hear as I at first thought R&D stood for Research and Development meaning that I would literally be testing out a totally new concept of a class. . . turns out I wasn't too far off!

What I gained from a brief meeting with Rene, a DYB FT who has been teaching only R&D classes for about a month now, is that the classes are meant to provide the students with something above and beyond that which they learn from 'the book,' whichever book that may be. To be honest, that's kind of what I've been trying to do all along here. Not that I spend countless hours lesson planning at home to come up with interesting and invigorating ways to learn English, in fact, I really haven't done anything like that ever, but I do try and inject as much 'humanity' as I can into my lessons. Whether this is allowing the kids to talk to me freely about how much they despise their president, Lee Myung Bak, or simply educating them about Mardi Gras traditions, I feel like I have done a decent job of bringing class to life.

Now apparently families will be shelling out extra money to sign their kids up for an extra class with me to get some sort of 'special' education above and beyond that I already provide. Uh oh. . .

All Rene really told us is that we by no means need to stick to the book that will be assigned to the kids but rather just figure out some-thing that we want to teach, and teach it. Now this sounds alright except that I've never really taught before and have no concept of the things that one would teach to a student of the English language. For example, Rene gave us a worksheet on the different ending sounds of words that end in -ed. Did you know that -ed can be pronounced three different ways and it's determined by the letter, or sound, preceding this ending? Neither did I. . .but apparently, that's 'teachable' material. Not quite a Mardi Gras trivia class. . . .

Up until today I didn't really think much about the classes as they don't start for a whole week 'n a half. . .hmmm. Anna however decided to ask me during class today what I planned on doing for the Oxford and Cambridge classes, as they are known, I guess. I told her that honestly I hadn't put much thought into it but that Rene had given me some material to get me on my feet. She then inquired as to whether or now I would be teaching writing as a big chunk of the class. With no clue as to what I'm expected to do, I went with my instinct and told her that I'd do some but probably focus on speaking as the class is called Reading and Debate.

In response to this Anna asked if I was aware of what parents expected from the class.

Um, why yes Anna, I've actually spent a great deal of time discussing with them over the phone in the past few weeks. . .in Korean.

Anna then informed me that the flyer used to advertise the class informs parents that their students will receive special education in the areas of speaking and writing. Hmmm, news to me. She then asked if I was familiar with the flyer that was being sent home. I told her that I had seen it but had no idea what it said (as it's entirely in Korean). Apparently the intent of the flyer is to sell kids, and their parents, on the merits of this special class which Nate and I will both be teaching. Unfortunately, we have yet to be informed of what exactly these merits are that we have to offer.

In turn, DYB is using our names to sell kids and parents on a class that we have yet to been instructed on. Expectations? None yet conveyed. Goals? Not that I'm aware of. Purpose? I think to generate extra revenue for DYB during this crunch time but, can I be sure, no, not of anything here in the Land of the Morning Calm.

So, now you know about as much as I do, wanna teach my class for me.

Oh, one good aspect of these classes is that they are set aside in a two hour block but are only supposed to last one 'n a half hours. Oooohhh yeeeah, 30 minutes of free time for each class taught! Now that, I can deal with.

More from Junggye when I figure out exactly what I'm supposed to be doing. . .not that I expect to anytime soon!

No comments: