Thursday, January 15, 2009

Job Hunt

If you haven't already guessed, yes, I am most certainly applying for 'The Best Job in the World!'

I'd assume that by now you all know what I'm talking about, but, for those of you that are either internet-challenged or just gainfully employed, then allow me to explain briefly.

A few days ago, The Department of Tourism, Queensland (that's in Australia you landlubbers) released a 'help wanted' ad for an 'Island Caretaker,' labeling the position "The Best Job in the World." Well, Tuesday morning, while waiting for work to begin, I sat in the Native Room 'stumbling' across the internet when I ran into a press release describing this seemingly too-good-to-be true opportunity. The job, as I first read about it, required no more than 'feeding the turtles' and 'keeping an eye out for whales,' all while living in a luxurious three bedroom house, pulling in a half year salary of over $100,000. . . not a bad deal on the surface. . .tell me more!

While I admittedly had trouble believing it at first, it didn't take me long to check the official web page (www.islandreefjob.com) and realize that this was the real deal! Though bits and pieces of 'information' regarding the job are available from any number of articles posted by various media outlets, I went straight to the source to see what was really required of applicants and of course, the job itself. Though I only had a few minutes before class, I was able to access the page and read enough to decide that I would certainly be the first 'caretaker' of Hamilton Island.

Having come across a similar article that morning, Nate agreed that the position not only sounded like my ideal job but that I in turn would be ideal for the work required. Unfortunately, I had to put my research on a back-burner until today as the 'advertisement' garnered such a flurry of media attention that the official website was down all of Wednesday from an enormous influx of visitors!

Finally, following lunch with Razer after work, I was able to log back on to the Tourism Queensland website and begin my quest for The Best Job in the World. While I already knew that this was the job for me, I didn't quite know how perfectly it seemed to fit until I looked at the official job description and requirements.

Here's what the official website says 'About the Job.'

"Tourism Queensland is seeking applicants for the best job in the world! The role of Island Caretaker is a six-month contract, based on luxurious Hamilton Island in the Great Barrier Reef. It’s a live-in position with flexible working hours and key responsibilities include exploring the islands of the Great Barrier Reef to discover what the area has to offer. You’ll be required to report back on your adventures to Tourism Queensland headquarters in Brisbane (and the rest of the world) via weekly blogs, photo diary, video updates and ongoing media interviews. On offer is a unique opportunity to help promote the wondrous Islands of the Great Barrier Reef.

Other duties may include (but are not limited to)


Feed the fish - There are over 1,500 species of fish living in the Great Barrier Reef. Don’t
worry – you won’t need to feed them all.

Clean the pool - The pool has an automatic filter, but if you happen to see a stray leaf
floating on the surface it’s a great excuse to dive in and enjoy a few laps.

Collect the mail – During your explorations, why not join the aerial postal service for a
day? It’s a great opportunity to get a bird’s eye view of the reef and islands."


Um. . .I can deal with that! But wait, what do I get in return?!

"Living above the Great Barrier Reef is a pretty unique benefit, but the successful
candidate will also be paid a salary package of AUD $150,000 for the six-month contract.
You’ll receive return airfares from your nearest capital city (in your home country),
accommodation and transport on Hamilton Island, travel insurance for the contract period,
computer, internet, digital video and stills cameras access, plus travel to a number of the
other Islands of the Great Barrier Reef. The six-month contract commences 1st July
2009."


Yeah. . .okay, so what's the catch? Doctorate in marine biology required? 10 years of hospitality sector service? What do I need to prove?

A broad range of experience will be considered, but the successful applicant should
posses:

- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Good written and verbal English skills
- An adventurous attitude
- Willingness to try new things
- A passion for the outdoors
- Good swimming skills and enthusiasm for snorkeling and/or diving
- Ability to engage with others
- At least one year’s relevant experience


Wait a minute. . .that's it?! Really?! Okay, now where's the catch?! Well, as far as I can see, there isn't one. . .I mean, other than competing against a world of recently laid off, experienced middle-aged professionals and a pool of unemployed but certainly adventurous backpackers.

Okay, so, now what?! How do I apply!?

Want the best job in the world? If you enjoy new experiences and you can spare six
months to enjoy life above the Great Barrier Reef, you’re already in with a good chance.

It’s easy to apply.

Step 1: Create a video application (in English and in 60 seconds or less) telling us why
you’re the best person for the job and demonstrating your knowledge of the Islands of the
Great Barrier Reef.

Step 2: Fill out a brief application form and upload your video to www.islandreefjob.com.
Applications close 11.59pm UTC 22nd February 2009


Well that does it, I'm in! 60 second video and the chance at the job of a lifetime? Let's do it!

Now the only problem is cramming all I have to say into a 60 second video that demonstrates not only my willingness for the job but my qualifications and, of course, vast knowledge of the Whitsunday Coast/Islands.

As I understand it, the job is primarily to document and promote life on Hamilton Island and throughout the Great Barrier Reef. Though it may sound like a stretch, this is essentially what I've been doing on this blog for the past four months now. Sure, it's not always positive and I'm certainly not trying to sell you on Seoul, but that's not my job! I'm just here to document what's going on so you get it as I see it. Now, I can't be sure, but from my experience living in tropical regions I have very little to complain about when surrounded by sand and sun. . .thus I'd imagine that reporting on Hamilton Island in a 'positive light' would not require any stretch of my imagination!

Anyways. . .that's really all I have to say on the issue. I spent a couple hours this evening trying to devise a 'script' for my video that supposedly Nate will help me film around town in the next few weeks. Then, hopefully, I'll be able to edit it all together to something that comes in, coherently, at under 60 seconds. The goal is to get it off before I head to Shanghai with Roy and Jay on February 14th as the deadline is only two days after I return.

From then, I guess its just a waiting game. Don't worry, I won't hold my breath or get too disappointed if nothing happens. I've already decided that I would clearly be the best for the position and if I'm for some reason not awarded it then it's the Oatley's (the family, headed by Bob Oatley, who essentially 'bought' control of the island and all it's property/infrastructure in 2004) loss, not mine. . .there are always other jobs promoting other beautiful islands. . .but I'm darn sure Hamilton could use me!

No comments: