Sunday, August 9, 2009

Every Now and Then

Isn't it nice when things just seem to work out? Sure, other things are often simultaneously going wrong but the power of feeling good certainly does work as a trump card, every now and then at least!

What's the sudden optimism about? Oh nothing in particular. . .I just picked up a tie that I dropped off for dry cleaning after I thought I had ruined it in the rain a few weeks ago. The exciting part is not the tie itself but that it was given back to me in great condition, free of charge. Not sure exactly why I received this 'service,' as it's referred to here in Korea, there's a chance that the thing will fall apart next time I wear it due some industrial chemical that the little old ajumma used but, even so, it was a nice addition to the day! Especially after I went back in Friday to pick it up and was frustrated that the dry cleaners had closed for lunch. Good thing I caught her in a good mood today!

Kinda like my watch that's been sitting around broken for a couple of weeks. I finally took a lunch break opportunity to drop it off at a clock store just down the street. Here the man told, or more so indicated, for me to wait while he quickly whipped out a set of the most miniature tools I have ever seen. Popping in a monocle, he immediately set to work snapping off the back of the face that for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to open. Less than five minutes later he had taken the thing apart, blew everything off, put it back together, dropped in a new batter and had it set to the correct time! I was amazed at how quickly and efficiently he was able to solve something that had been bugging me for weeks as I assumed (not sure why) that I would have to find and install my own battery. On top of that, it was a mere 4,000 won for the whole deal! What a steal!

As for going right, how about the pension office?! For the past year, or (eight months months actually) I've been paying 4.5% of my paycheck to Korea's National Pension Service. With a 4.5% match from my employer, I've managed to rack up a decent sized pension here in the Hermit Kingdom. Another dark cloud that's been hanging over my pre-departure head is that of how and when will I ever collect on this. Turns out, all I needed to do was print a copy of my e-ticket out of Korea (more on that later but September 1st from Seoul to Surat Thani, Thailand in case you're interested), bring my passport and information regarding my home bank account. I filled out a brief form with information regarding a money transfer to my NuUnion account at home then bam, was sent on my way with the promise that sometime between October and November a lump sum of money, hopefully in dollars, not won, will show up in my account. Not a bad deal, though who knows it it'll actually work!?

I visited a doctor the other day and at a bargain 3,500 per consultation, well who wouldn't! Here I picked up a big ole' batch of Larium as anti-malarial protection and got recommendations for vaccinations that might prove to be, well, helpful in my SEAsia journeys. Luckily it seems I'm pretty up to date on vaccines and now need only to find the Seoul University International Clinic to get a rabies shot, just in case I decide to play with monkeys or make friends (enemies) with an unruly beach dog!

Even with a well dry cleaned tie, working watch and vaccinated immune system, I still have plenty left to do before taking off here!

I did pick up a backpack the other day but have yet to be satisfied with my decision. I went back and forth between two bags, first buying one then returning it for another I found online only a day or so later. While the second bag is exactly what I thought I was looking for, I now question whether or not the qualities I originally had in mind are those that will serve me best. Either way, I figure anything will work and the only problem I can imagine running into is running out of space in which case, it'll just be great incentive to continue to travel light! Sure, I'll have to sacrifice the normal level of hyper-organization that I travel with but who really needs to be able grab a pen in the dark anyways? It's not like you're gonna be writing with it!

I was all prepared to head to the Express Bus Terminal this past Saturday afternoon and drop of my electric guitar with Dan Shirley who had agreed to buy it for a reasonable price. Unfortunately, I got a message at the last minute saying that his girlfriend disapproved of the purchase and thus he wouldn't be able to follow through. All I have to say is, weak. Reminds me a bit of my Dad telling me a story about asking a guy at Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI why he would have 30 guitars, to which the man responded, "Because I'm only allowed to have one wife." I spent hours cleaning her up getting ready to sell and now I'll just have to do it again, that is, if I find another buyer! While I love my '72 Classic Series Telecaster Thinline, I simply can't deal with the agony of shipping her and worrying about it for months as I travel. I'd much rather take cash in hand and then try to find the same model once I get back stateside. So, if you know anyone looking for a guitar in Korea, send 'em my way, I might even give you a cut!

My room is still cluttered with plenty of clothes that I brought over with me initially and have never worn which I now have to decided whether or not they're worth sending back home (to continue not wearing) or just leave 'em behind at a Salvation Army (or something of the sort). Along with the dozen or so books that I'm not quite ready to part with, I'll have at least a good couple of boxes packed and in transit by the time I leave!

Sold back the majority of books that I don't have a need for at a shop called What the Book in Itaewon last weekend. Here I was able to pick up three 'new' pieces that took me forever to find. I was able to put my hands one of the few John Irving pieces that I haven't yet read while also picking up my first un-assigned copies of both Mark Twain (Life on the Mississippi) and John Steinbeck (Cannery Row). I have already cruised through Steinbeck's in a matter of days and found it so enticing that I'll certainly keep an eye out for more of his as I travel through the well worn used book stores of South East Asia.

While I would love to keep my Korean driver's license as a souvenir, it doesn't seem like I'm going to be able to. When I originally picked it up, I did so in exchange for my MI one which has since been held hostage by the Korean DMV, or, I think is it Driver's License Agency? Anyways, in order to get my State ID back, which I fell will be a useful secondary form of identification while traveling, I'll need to sacrifice my Korean one. While I can respect this policy, for it likely keeps foreigners from selling them to one another, I would much rather prefer to simply have mine invalidated somehow so I can still hang on to it. . .I'll see what I can do.

Other than that, I'm pretty much set to go. I still have to look in to travel insurance which I'm certainly going to purchase but do not know yet from where. I have to get over to Lotte Mart too at some point to print out a handful of passport sized pictures to apply for visas along the way. Thailand doesn't require advanced purchase of one so I think I'll work the majority of them out once in Bangkok. I'll give the run down on where I'm going and with who at a later date as departure draws nearer. . .

So, for now, I'm just buckling in, trying to fight my way through another nine-class Monday! Only this one and one more to go before the ultimate freedom of unemployment!

Pictures from last weekend's adventure to Yeouido and the 63 Building still to come, as soon as I can steal Nate's camera from him!

Don't worry about sending any more mail as it might not make it to me in time. Thanks for anything you did ever send though, it was certainly greatly appreciated!

More from the Korean front soon. Isn't it nice when you get an update, every now and then?!

No comments: