Wednesday, August 20, 2008

On our way!?

After fussing around with MSN Messenger for a while last night trying to initiate a video interview we concluded that the program does not have a video option enabled for personal accounts on Mac's. However we were finally able to contact the Director of DYB using my Skype account (Sapeoblast) within an hour or so!

Although talking to a total stranger half-way across the world using a webcam was a little bit awkward and a lotta bit silly I felt pretty comfortable with the whole thing by the end of the interview. Mr. Lee, the DYB Director, was introduced to me by his very kind and giggly secretary, Yumi. Following introductions I was asked a few relatively informal questions about my time at Tulane and volunteering in New Orleans' schools. Almost immediately Mr. Lee noted that I had a very nice voice (which is second most important he claims) that would help keep the children's' attention very well! Although flattered, it hardly eases the nerves of being in a classroom by Monday!

My 'teaching skills' were then put to the test as I was asked to read a passage about sand dunes from the children's' text and explain it as though I was in a room of 14 Korean children. As easy as this doesn't sound. . . it's harder to actually do!! Put nervousness and ridiculousness aside, how does one describe a sand dune as anything other than a big pile of sand. If you can't get that you're not gonna understand a sand dune, too bad! While I passed the 'teaching test' with flying colors, again partially due to my 'very nice' voice, I didn't do so hot the subsequent section. . . .Vocabulary testing!

For the final test, Mr. Lee would ask me a word and have me define or explain it back to him. I managed to do okay in describing quotidian, resonance, and ripple. Unfortunately I fell short on achronism and placate only earning me the 'silver medal, not gold.' Oh well, I can deal, it's an honor just to have competed in the Olympics Mr. Lee. . .wait, huh, never mind!

Anyways. . . .both Nate and I were offered a job at DYB though under slightly different circumstances than what we were told before the interview. While the pay is slightly less, so is the number of days we are expected to work each week which is nice as it leaves more time for travel and exploring S. Korea. Really the only downside of this contract is that we are expected to be in S. Korea at school by Friday, which means. . . .we're leaving tomorrow!

We were just sent flight information for a 6:00am departure from DTW meaning our journey would actually start around 3:00am, less than 20 hours from now! In the meantime we will try to either bump the flight back just a little or change it to a Lansing departure which, as of now, appears to be no more expensive (although it is not us who is buying the tickets) than leaving from Detroit!

With less than a day to go it looks like I'd better get packing!!!

No comments: