Monday, June 8, 2009

And Then There Were Three. . .

So begins the Korean adventures of neighborhood friend and longtime classmate Steve Greene!

Welcome Steve!
(Check out Steve's blog for more on his experience in the Land of the Morning Calm.)

Wednesday morning I uncomfortably was awoken by an early morning phone call from an unrecognizable number. Hitting silent and rolling back over I realized that I had just hung up on a 517 my area code at home. This seemed all too strange as normally when people call from the States, or Skype, it comes up as 'Hidden.' I tried to call the number back but was told that it didn't exist. Only then did I remember Steve telling me that he had purchased a 517 number from Skype so that he can receive incoming 'local' calls.

While the last time I checked in with Steve he still hadn't heard anything about his flight out to Korea, I didn't second guess the possibility that he had been booked and shipped out with 24 of us speaking, certainly not leaving time to contact anyone with the news. This call had to be from him.

Unwillingly, I rose from my couch and stumbled to the computer where I, sure enough, found Steve in the world wide Skype-o-sphere. He informed me that he had arrived a few hours before at Incheon and since been wandering around his new digs in Cheonho, just south of the great Han River.

I suggested we meet up for breakfast and said that I'd try and rouse Nate whom I'm sure was soundly sleeping. This was after all at 9:00am and it's not like we have real jobs to get to or anything! (On that note, a girl I met the other night noted that her current situation was akin to a 'waiter's life,' I completely understand, and agree.)

A few hours later Nate and I popped out of Samgakji Station, certain that it would take a miracle for Steve to do the same. Alas, after only 15 minutes or so a bewildered Greene rose from the depths of Samgakji Station, Exit 10. From there it was only a quick walk north towards the USO Canteen and a real American breakfast! Or so I thought. . .

Alas, we showed up just a few minutes to late for the grand-slam-breakfast that I was eagerly looking forward to. Even so, I settled for a home cooked chili 'n cheese burger with a side of black coffe, and a mango Snapple to boot. This exhausted the last of my USD that I had collected in change from my backpack upon arriving, and returning from the Gras.

After 'breakfast' we took Steve up and out to lunch in Junggye, to show him 'life as we know it.' Munching gimbap on the corner of Eunhang Sa-geori is about as exciting as it gets here in northern Nowon, but hey, that's life. After showing him around Dootavil we sent him back reeling towards his new home as Nate and I took off for another exciting day at DYB.

That wouldn't be the last of Steve that we saw on Wednesday however as he came back to find us at the end of work. Wanting to introduce him proudly to a number of Korean traditions, we headed straight out for the nearest chicken hof were Steve got more than his fill of yangyam chicken, soju, and The Sound of Vitality. Not wanting to send him back in a cab alone, Steve sent up camp at my place for the evening and got his first taste of loft life.

I didn't see Steve again until Saturday morning when we had agreed to meet up and check out his neck of the woods. Unfortunately, Nate wasn't able to come as he took off this weekend for Tokyo and won't be returning until Wednesday morning. Shhhh, don't tell his students though as Anna told me today that he can't tell anyone or else parents will take their kids out of DYB. Why, you might ask. Well because of swine flu of course! Not to over generalize but, I have never encountered a more ridiculously paranoid culture.

Anyways. . .green Line 7 down to Gunja, hope on purple Line 5 and get off at Cheonho, where one can transfer to the pink Line 8, if need be. Out exist three and 300 meteres down on your left you'll find a large brown apartment building. Go to room 1406, on the top floor, and you'll find, well Steve.

The Kid's New Digs

All I can say about his place is, well, I would love to have a real shower, counter space and sure wish someone had left me a bunch of leather couches! Other than that, it's very Korean. Small, efficient, and surrounded by other apartments. Though I do admit that the view from the 14th floor is somewhat more spectacular than from the fourth!

After breaking in the already broken in couches, we headed out on the town to wander around his new neighborhood. We soon decided to head towards Olympic Park where neither Nate nor I have yet to visit in Seoul. . .oops!

On our way, we got a call from Steve's new coworker, and my Spitfire teammate, David, letting us know about a baseball game later that day. David also offered to take me to a store where he had saw Sanuks on sale only a few days ago. Knowing that I was in the market for a new pair this was an extremely kind gesture that I readily accepted.

So, in order to make the game in time, Steve and I hauled through Olympic Park only stopping for a handful of pictures and a melon popsicle, a hot day mainstay!

One of the 200+ art installations in Olympic Park with the swimming complex in the background.

On the other side we met David at Mongchongtoseong Station, just beneath his Parkview pad. We headed towards Jamsil station where we descended into a sprawling underground arcade that doubles as the entrance to Lotte World. Down a long hallway we entered a shoe store, Athletes Foot where I was shocked to find a small display of Sanuk sidewalk surfers. By this point in my journey I've already contact Sanuk and asked them to direct me to a dealer in Seoul yet they have been unable to do so. Thus, this was a welcome surprise.

Unfortunately, the shoes they had on display are essentially the exact same ones I currently own and what I'm looking for is a new pair in one of their more rugged styles to hopefully guide me on my way throughout SE Asia. I didn't pick up a pair just then but it's good to know where to find 'em if i can't build up the gall to order yet another pair of shoes online (as neither of the last two have fit).

Peace Gate at Olympic Park

Okay, okay, back to the point. From Jamsil we hopped on the subway two stops over to the Sports Complex where, for 8,000 won, we were able to pick up seats in the Yellow Section for a game between the LG Twins and the Doosan Bears. As Joseph has made it known on more than one occasion that he is a huge fan of Doosan, I could only cheer for the later team. Good thing too as we ended up sitting in the Doosan section!

National Anthem-ing

Matter of fact, we didn't actually really sit in any section as we rather were forced to plop down in the aisle on concrete stairs. Apparently, we had arrived much to late to get a chunk of 7 seats together as many of the die hard fans, a breed of which everyone at the game is obviously of, arrive unreasonably early to scout out spots. Good thing we paid for the cheap seats cause, well, that's what we ended up getting!

Thunder Sticks!

The game was an absolute blast and even though Doosan lost, everyone had a fantastic time. The energy in the stadium was simply unreal and I'm sure not matched in the States except for the biggest of events. Keep in mind too that this was a top ranked team playing a last ranked team and not once did the stadium grow quiet. The only thing I can think of to compare the energy to is that of a European soccer match, though I've never actually been to one!

Both sides are constantly engaged in back and forth cheering, seemingly without any jeering. Everything is always positive and even the worst batter on the team gets his name chanted when up to bat, no matter how many times he strikes out!



As the sun fell and so did the Bears, we decided to get out before everyone else made the same move. At the top of the 9th we seemed to be some of the only people making our way towards the gates despite the game being over long, long ago!

Nightime at Jamsil Stadium!

With a handful of Steve's coworkers, two of whom I play soccer with (or, one with and one against) we made it to a highly acclaimed Shabu Shabu restaurant that I've heard about for months. While it was certainly delicious, I'm not by any means going to recommend it over our local spot. Sure, the broth was thick and spicy while ours is a bit watery, but we get a much better selection of vegetables and no one, I mean no one can argue with the cup of icy plum tea that finishes the meal!

From Shabu Shabu it was off to Gold Bar where we spent the rest of the night playing terrible pool, playing with a husky, sipping on delicious cocktails and discussing the following day's Han River derby between the two teams in our club, Spitfires and Harriers. On that note, all that needs to be said is that the Harriers got their plate cleaned as we Spitfires tore through their lines with remarkable precision executed beautiful by our newest Korean recruits, aptly named Dragon and Star!

While I've got less than 80 days to go here in Seoul, Steve is just getting started so don't forget to visit him every so often and listen in on a fresh perspective of life on the Han.

And she looked just like Kita, for those of you who know!

No comments: