Sunday, June 14, 2009

SSFL Spring Season Closer

Today wrapped up the last week of match play in the SSFL Spring Season. While I at first questioned whether or not I would be able to make it due to a work retreat this weekend, it wasn't hard for me to make a case for having to return to Seoul early. I have been a member of the Spitfires now for almost as long as I have been at DYB. In fact, the differential is only one week as it was my second week here that I went out for my first game.

I'm glad that I did make it back in time as team manager Sun Uk bestowed a rather humbling honor to me today asking if I would allow the referee to take my picture to be used as a nomination for the defensive player of the season! I of course agreed and thanked him profusely for such recognition when all I try and do each week is show up and play!

A Spitfire Veteran!

Anyways, facing the yet undefeated Jokers we didn't go into the game with any intention other than having fun. And that we did!

To everyone's surprise, The Spitfires took the early lead and managed to hold on for quite some time. Even so, the Joker's possessed a team skill that we simply could not match and they eventually pulled even. A bit later, a fluke popup and an unlucky handball in the box gave the Joker's two more, seemingly putting the game out of reach.

With a crack from 20 yards out, Russian exchange student Ivan managed to whip a ball past a diving goalie to keep us in the game. Unfortunately, we weren't able to produce anything else beyond that and had to settle for a game well played. As a defeat was rather eminent from the onset, it was enjoyable simply going out and playing our hardest for the season's last game. To be honest, this had to have been one of our best played matches of the season as we gave this undefeated team a true run for their money. Playing against anyone else in the league we would have had a sound victory! Even so, it wasn't a total personal defeat as somehow I managed to secure the 'Man of the Match' honors for my improvised role at sweeper, a relatively new position for me!

Afterward, Sun treated the team to chicken and beer using the remainder of our 'team fees.' Not entirely sure how we have any left over but he insisted that it was not him paying but rather our collective funds. Either way, it was a great way to end the season!

Though I'm looking forward to the number of friendly matches Sun has promised to organize this summer, I'm saddened that today was likely my last day of league play with the Spitfires. As my contract coincided with the first week of fall play, I will likely have left, or at least be leaving Korea by the time the next season picks up again.

As I mentioned before, of all the things that make up my Korean experience, this team has been at the top of the list. Having something to do that simply does not involve work, teaching, DYB or even Nowon in anyway has been life saving for me. From the time I get on the bus Sunday afternoon to the time I get back off the subway I feel a freedom that I long for all week. To be able to run, play, compete and simply have fun without a care in the world is, well, all I really ask for. On Sunday afternoons at least!

While everyone that I have met through our team has been amazing, here are just a few of those who have helped to make my experience just a little bit more, well, enjoyable! Thanks guys. . .

Our knowledgeable and generous team manager, Sun Uk, who, at the age of 50 still holds his own on the field against a group of rowdy post-adolescent expats.

Hwi Soo, a young soldier who I learned, only the day before he left, not only worked on the US base but in turn spoke almost perfect English.

Tom Anderson, the diplomat and family man. As American as corn on the cob and oversized chili dogs.

Canadian Craig who, after almost a half a dozen years in Korea shows no sign of leaving anytime soon. His recent engagement to a young Korean woman probably sealed the deal but it's great for me as I know where to go to with 'life in Seoul' questions.

Ammar, perhaps our team's biggest asset who we unfortunately lost early on this season due to a serious leg injury. Playing stopper I have nothing more comforting than knowing that he is there to take out anyone who might get by me or to give the ball a good ole' toe kick sending it down to the opposing team's goal line. As an Iraqi immigrant who has been waiting for years now to move to the USA with his American wife, he was recently blessed with both confirmation on his long awaited visa and the arrival of his first child, a beautiful daughter.

Joseph who is, well, a teenager at heart. He loves girls, cars, soccer, and did I say girls? A great 'kid' who is always eager to make plans though we've yet to ever follow through on any.

My fellow American and closest teammate with regards to not only age, education and position but geographical origin as well is David Hartley who hails from Grand Rapids, Michigan. Returning 'home' in the fall to begin law school, David has been a great role model if you will for me, assuring me that there are others who come here for a year and do in fact plan on returning Stateside, unscathed. (On a side note, I found it ironic that recent import Steve is now Dave's coworker. Small world, smaller Seoul.)

I can't not mention our goalie Han Dong Shin whose name is aptly abbreviated on his jersey as HanDS! He's there to cover my numerous faults and is always friendly on and off the field, despite the touch situations we love to put him in.

Though it is evident that he is often frustrated with our team's management or lack of, relative newbie Jake always shows a load of patience that easily escapes our other teammates.

Twins Jun Ho and Jun Suk who are of Korean decent but hail from Germany are simply a riot! They'll scream to each other in German, switch to Korean without hesitation and then break out a grammatically perfect but otherwise hilarious English that has a tinge of both Korean and German in it! Oh yeah, and did I mention they are killer scorers?!

James, or, as Nate refers to him, Banana Boy, has saved a number of lives on the pitch due to the fact that, well, he'll sometimes show up to games armed with giant bunch of bananas. These little yellow packages do wonders for extra energy and to flush out the rest of an all nighter in the 'Twon. A great guy and a solid player he's even invited us all over for a BBQ next Sunday. . .while the girlfriend is out of town!

Hailing form Japan, Nikki, though often absent due to work, is also a pleasure to play with and know. His flawless English is the product of many years in the States and elsewhere as he travels the world for, well, no one really knows why!


There are plenty of others who come and go as our team must be one of the most dynamic in the league. While often billed as a foreigner's league, I've never seen anything to indicate that this is the case and I'm certainly glad it's not. I am lucky to have played (be playing) on a team that is so diverse in age, language, and nationality. According to the league's website, we Spitfires hail from nine unique countries, all of which have produced some mighty fine amateur footballers if I do say so myself! I've heard other teams pride themselves on being homogeneous which, to me, simply seems like a waste of an experience.

To be honest, I wouldn't trade my Sunday afternoons for anything!

No comments: