Monday, September 15, 2008

Express Yourself

Well I managed to do it. . . .I think. On Thursday, in A-Young's class (also known as Anna), the kids in the highest level finished their testing with plenty of time to spare. Anna then turned the class over to me for current events and 'expressions.' As I've said, up until this point my curriculum has been laid out for me %100, up to the point of timing for each sub-lesson. So, having to actually think at work was a new, and challenging (wouldn't you know) experience!

I started current events by having the kids read an article out loud in class. The one I chose for this exercise was a brief Nate found for me on CNN.com titled, "Man eats 23,000 Big Macs in 36 years." The reason behind the selection of the article is two fold. First, that is a disgustingly hilarious phenomenon that certainly would only happen in America, and therefore I felt obliged to 'teach' the occurrence as an implement of cultural exchange! Secondly, I don't think I will ever relate fast food as closely to anything as I will to my time in Seoul. Already I must have eaten at McDonald's a whopping half dozen times; a number that greatly outweighs my Stateside MD consumption!

Though I feel I need not explain, I also feel I must. . . first of all, there are, as I've noted, no more than ten or so restaurants within our walking world. Living without gas (for cooking on our two burner gas stove) or a microwave, it makes little sense to start buying my own food. You can eat out for essentially 5,000 won (roughly $5) at any meal. Your options in this price range are limited only by your linguistic ability and adventureness. For Nate, this becomes a slightly more complicated issue in that ordering up anything cooked with any sort of non-fish-sea-creature, will bring about certain and instant death. . . or something painfully close at least! So as a result, we stick to places, and items we know best: udon, fried cutlet, bibimbap, kimchi stew, kimchi and beef with rice, etc... Now it just so happens that across the street from our school is a McDonald's. Not only is the menu in English but the oddest thing out on the menu is a Bulgogi burger. . .which we're told is just another form of ground beef!? Still haven't, and don't necessarily plan on trying it. While it is fun to adventure and explore new food items, a week with out protein, other than that provided by the cat-tle intestines, starts to make McyD's look reeeaaall good! And thus, we indulge.

The funny thing about this is that we have met other foreigners who say the same thing; that they will forever associate fast food with Korea. This topic is also mentioned on my friend Casey's blog, who went to Korea a year ago and inspired me to take on the adventure too! Anyways, all I'm trying to say is that an article about McDonald's holds personal relevance in this cultural adventure; especially one that negates the atrocities seen in Supersize Me! The point of the article is really not too deep.

For those of you that haven't read it, a man from Fon Du Lac, WI has eaten at least two Big Macs a day since May, 1972. During that time he has missed only eight days of his favorite meal, usually based on pretty good excuses; for example when a snow storm shut down the McDonalds' in the surrounding area! Now usually current events articles are supposed to over some controversial talking point to get the kids to speak. While this article is perhaps, less than controversial, I decided to introduce the kids to the concept behind the movie, Supersize Me. Which, I'm rather certain I explained in a horrendously awkward and hard to follow manner, having never actually seen the movie myself!

Having explained that the general conception of McDonald's in America is that it is fatally toxic sludge, I then introduced them to my article; presenting the absurdly unhealthy diet of a Wisconsin man who manages to keep a normal weight and a healthy cholesterol! Ahhh, what good information I provide to these kids! In all honesty, I think I wanted to talk about it with them to make myself feel better about my current diet! Not that I'm on pace to hit 23,000 Big Macs anytime soon but. . .take away a few zeros and I've got no problem with it!

After briefly discussing this article, and the obsessive compulsive disorder mentioned within (yep, putting my college degree to use) I turned the classes attention to 'expressions,' as Anna had requested I do a few days before. I came to class prepared with a couple dozen English idioms that begin with the letter 'A,' for Adam, Adam and figuring it was the best place to start, right!? As each one took a good deal of explaining for the kids to understand the word beyond the context of my sample sentence, we only got through five in about 20 minutes. Before leaving I made each student, I only had five, pick one of the expressions and use it in a sentence all their own. The most creative one pointed out to me that the phrase, "A little bird told me," is in fact a sentence in and of itself! What a smart little guy!

However, Anna did tell me after the class that the expressions were very well received and she was happy to be learning something new as well! So, for the future, I plan on teaching five or so expressions, beginning with a new letter, each class (which means each week) and then administering a written exam where the children have to fill in the blanks with expressions and write sentences using others that I provide in a word bank! How fun does that sound!

Feeling pretty good about my day I was happy to pack up and leave at 10:30pm! As we were headed out Joseph stopped me quickly to tell me to meet in the front office. When he returned, he presented me with a gift bag, for Chusok, from Mr. Song! How kind! Nate and I were each given a box set of wine from the Hyundai Department store, wrapped and presented in a beautiful bag! Boy, now if that doesn't make you feel special I don't know what will! We took of for home beaming about our new found worth in this foreign land!

As I've been waiting for a good time to address the topic of such gifts, I supposed now is as good as any. A while ago, a dedicated reader of this blog left me a question in her (I think?) comment (which of course I sincerely appreciate) regarding the gifts and admiration that Nate and I have received thus far. While at first glance, Sunny sharing oranges with us did not seem like anything of note, the continued onslaught of gift bearing has passed from excitement to well. . . .it's still pretty exciting!

One of our first gifts, as I mentioned, was simply a small orange/clementine given to each Nate and I by DYB's bright and cheery secretary, Sunny. A few days later, a magic box of doughnuts appeared in our room that we later learned were from Joseph. In only our second week of school, Cleo, the Hogwan's only High School teacher, brought Nate a piece of gourmet cake all wrapped up to boot! Moon Young, my Monday/Tuesday partner, has since brought me both coffee and powerade while I'm teaching. Though I think she does this as she feels bad for running out of class to get her self something! Two weeks ago I returned to the Native room after our first break to find two bagels, lathered in cream cheese, still hot from the toaster, sitting on our table! Mmmmmm, thanks to the other front secretary, Princess aka Julie! Early on, Claire, a teacher that neither Nate nor I work with, wait, or maybe Nate does, I'm not sure, gave us each a bottle of orange juice as a student's mother had brought her a case.

Finally, last week the floodgates of giving were opened in preparation for this past weekend's Chusok Holiday! On Tuesday, Anna greeted both Nate and I with beautiful green box, wrapped in a bow and from a trendy little spa type place downstairs. No need to worry about what was inside as she told us, 'Oh don't worry, nothing big, it's just hair wax for Chusok.' Well thanks Anna! Anything is something big, especially something in a cutsie wrapper that clearly costs way more than anything I've ever put on my head! Opening the box later we found not one, but two kinds of hair gel and a delectable body spray (uh hu)! On Thursday we received our more than gracious care packages from Mr. Song and Nate was also treated to a three pack of socks by a student's family! Not sure if they'll fit or even come close but hey, it's the thought that counts!
My Super Sweet Korean Hair Gel and Body Spray!


Anyways, as promised by both LP (which has been coming up wildly short here in Korea. . .tsk tsk) and other Korean info sources, we have certainly been fortunate enough to be on the good end of giving season! Dumbfounded at how or where to begin repaying all these gifts, Nate and I figured the Friday before Chusok was a good place to start with your classic America treat, doughnuts! We grabbed a dozen 'n a half doughy treats at the Dunkin' Doughnuts downstairs then headed to home mart, a small grocery store next store where we loaded up on individual sized juices! Making it school just barely on time, we dumped everything in the front office and let all the teachers know that there was a Chusok surprise waiting for them there! Everyone was extremely appreciative and rather surprised it seemed! I'm sure we're not even close to being caught up on repayment for gifts but hey, it's a start at least!

While Chusok Day was rather quiet around town, Nate and I managed to have a roaring extravaganza, once again accompanied by our teachers and co-workers, to celebrate the holiday on Chusok Eve! I'll have to fill you in later however as it's time to get breakfast and head off to school!

Internet should come this week meaning both pictures and a reliable Skype connection. . . .oh wait, we're supposed to be going to Japan on Thursday. . .but who really knows! If we did, it just wouldn't be Korea!

No comments: