Monday, September 29, 2008

Final Supper!

So as Nate and I sit around in the Native Room, trying with all our might to make six hours feel like less than ten (which trust me, is no easy task when you're locked away in a room with nothing in particular to do yet you're surrounded on all sides by your superiors and monitored nonstop via cctv cameras), Joseph arrives with some interesting news! He tells us that he'll be taking us to the hospital tomorrow morning to have our health check completed so that we may in turn finally apply for our ARC! This is exciting to hear as we have been waiting to go since we returned from our visa run and the date has continually been pushed back! Not so exciting however is the fact that he informs us we are not to eat or drink anything, even water, after 10:00pm tonight.

Now, the most astute reader will have realized that 10:00pm is a half an hour before we are let off work and about 31 minutes before we usually sit down to enjoy our final (and usually only second) meal of the day! While I realize this is not exactly normal, keep in mind that I don't show up to work until mid afternoon and usually don't nod off to dreamland, if I make it there, anytime before 2am. So, telling us that we're not to eat after 10:00pm while we're in school is essentially telling us to skip an entire day of food and water!

The looks on both of our faces must have conveyed this point rather convincingly however as he immediately recoiled with Joseph's oh so famous, "Whhaaat?" We enlightened him as to our problem as asked if it would be okay if we skipped out real quick to grab our last meal before tomorrow afternoon! Before allowing us to go, he asked if we had class that we should be in and we quickly assured him that 'no,' in fact we have not had class for over three weeks now! Allowed to leave we quickly darted across the street to our favorite purveyor of fine, non-American beef, McyD's. While it felt great to escape the binds of the Native Room and it's Flatron l1960TR Monitor connected to an English/Korean keyboard. . .we weren't gone long and are now back. . .awaiting our fast!

Hopefully everything goes well at the hospital tomorrow. Joseph reassured me that everything would be okay once they draw out "this much blood," using his hands to indicate something akin to an old milk jug! Suggesting that I have a fear of having blood drawn, and needles in general, Joseph scolded me for not being more open to giving blood. . .apparently this is a big, big deal in Korea! No worries, I sidestepped the issue by pointing to my recent stint in Africa as the reason that I am not able to currently give blood. . .phew! Thanks to all those that help make up for my absence, I'll do my share in other forms of community service, I promise!

Anyways, that's all for now! Enjoy the few new pictures I've got up! There are always more on the way!

"Welcome," if you're from the K fam just checking in for your first time (after my long winded e-mail)! As always I love to hear from any and everyone!

I'll leave you with this. . . .a vice presidential candidate questioning not only the role of the office but it's "fruitfulness" as well! Happy Monday America!

http://dailysource.org/special/palin/146#as_of_july_31st_2008%2C_palin_did_not_know_what_the_vice_president_does

No comments: