Sunday, October 12, 2008

Monday Morn

Woo hoo! Just got back from a 50 min run this morning, marking the first time I've actually gotten up and out since moving to Seoul! I've continually wanted to but haven't gotten myself to go running for a number of reasons. For starters, this city is dangerous for anyone on foot as even sidewalks are not off limit to cars and motorcycles. Furthermore, I work until 10:30pm and often do not wake up until noon, leaving me little time to eat, prepare and psyche myself up for work. . .I'm also good at making excuses!

Last night however I managed to get to bed, and asleep (which is the miracle) before midnight. As I had no soccer game yesterday, not quite sure why but for some reason it was cancelled, Nate and I decided that we'd venture in to Itaewon to grab a non-Korean dinner! While you might think this is lame consider the fact that we eat about 90% of our weekly meals as traditional Korean restaurants around Junggye; wanting something different is 100% acceptable!

Although it's a 45 minute subway ride into Itaewon, the only transfer we have to make is super easy and I actually got some good reading time in on the train. We wandered around for a bit, just because the area is always so alive with activity, before settling on a third story American Diner for dinner. The place was hilarious! The entrance to the restaurant was through the Smoking Section which was decorated with lawn chairs and astro turf, giving a (sort of) outdoorsy feel. We were seated in the non-smoking section which was actually more like a large sun room in the front of the restaurant over looking the street. In direct contrast to the restaurants interior, this room was decorated up like a cozy lounge! It seems like somebody gave the directions backwards to the interior designer but, then again, you never quite know!

I had a fantastic meal of fish and chips while Nate scarfed down a real cheese burger! From dinner we headed right back up to Junggye, only after I grabbed a super-cool Korea winter hat that I had eyed at a booth last time we were in Itaewon! It's not really cold enough out yet to warrant it but man is it a cool hat. . .I'll show ya soon!

We got back around nine at which point I blasted out last night's rant of a post and then retired to bed. I woke up this morning around 7, wide awake as could be! I figured I could either lie in bed pretending that it's comfortable (which it certainly is not) or I could get up, go for a run, and then justify taking a nap later in the day before school if I really need more rest. So, that is what I did!

Hitting the pavement at 7:30am was eeire! The only people in the streets were school children, walking and biking to (I believe) public school. What I found odd is that returning almost an hour later, there appeared to be just as many students about going in just as many different directions. Not sure if schools start at a different time or what but students are to Seoul what pigeons are to New York. . .kinda!

I took off running towards Hagye Station as Nate and I have determined that the best way to the 'river trail' is to just keep going straight past the station. I managed to find the trail which actually runs along a canal that eventually feeds in to the Han miles south of here. It did take me another five minutes of looping around however to find a stairway down to get to the trail, set below the adjascent highway.

Not really knowing where I was going I figured I'd just run to the next 'off ramp' and head back towards Junggye. Little did I know what I was in for! Apparently if you decided to take the trail you're commiting to at least a mile or so of excercise as it took me almost 10 minutes to get to the next up ramp. I headed up, satisfied with my brief stint along the canal and confident that I hadn't ventured to far from home to find my way back. The later was almost not true.

It took me a good thirty minutes of weaving back and forth through busy streets to find my way to a familiar street leading to our Four Bank Corner. I really have no idea how to navigate this city other than figure out a general direction and head that way. I'm sure I could have used Bulansam, our neighboring mountain, as a landmark if the high rise apartments didn't block my view!

I felt great on the run just until the last half mile or so which is entirely uphill! I figured it'd be best if I just muscled through and pushed as hard as I could up the hill. . .which seemed a lot shorter from the bottom then it did halfway up! Oh well, I made it and I'm sure I'll be paying for it tomorrow morning, if not later today as I stand up teaching for six hours in the late evening!

At least I know that it is possible to go out and get some exercise here, even without soccer! It certainly is not the easiest thing to do in the world and one must remain extremely aware of cyclists, old ladies, delivery scooters and maverick taxi drivers. But I made it. . .for now!

No comments: