Thursday, October 30, 2008

Travelin', Itaewon Style

As I promised last evening, I spent the better part of this morning continuing my costume hunt. While my efforts proved to be only slightly productive, I did manage to have a fantastic morning of culinary adventures throughout the Eastern Hemisphere without having to leave the confines (not that I could if I wanted to anyways) of Seoul.

By eleven (which yes, is still relatively early morning around here) I had hopped the 1131 bus towards Hagye station where I rode Line 7 two stops down, transferring to 6 at Taereung. . . .yep, you guessed it, Itaewon here I come!

I spent at least an hour or so wandering the "Itaewon Market" which is little more than a bunch of over priced stores blasting hip hop music and advertising "Big Sizes." I mean, I guess that's one way to draw your customers. . .especially if they are primarily the, um, military type? Who knows. . .anyways, I found a shirt store that I had wandered past in previous weeks and took a step inside. My selection was overwhelming. From floor to ceiling this 'shop,' no bigger than my bathroom, seriously, was lined with dress shirts stacked on top of one another. Now the way that the inventory is arranged does not make for very convenient browsing. However, after only a few minutes of thumbing through piles of shirts I came across just the one I was looking for. All I can tell you as of now is that the label describe it's color as "Lime." I ensured that the shirt would fit and was relieved to find that it actually had a 16 1/2 neck, perfect, not that I plan on ever buttoning it up all the way more or less wearing it at any time after tomorrow!

I continued to duck in to shop after shop but my search for a pair of either bell bottom pants or absurdly loud plaid came up short. . .again! I guess Korean's just don't have any interest in to hanging on to mid 80's go-go culture. . .I can't imagine why not!?

Feeling satisfied with my single purchase, and unwilling to continue embarrassing myself by carousing the ugliest pants possible in every store front, I headed up the hill behind Hamilton Hotel. Here one can find restaurants of all variety ranging in cuisine from traditional Bulgarian, to homely Pub Grub, and ethnic Greek to Thai/Korean fusion.

I settled on a second story Thai eatery known as Buddah's Belly that comes highly recommended from many of the world wide web's knowledgeable patrons. Inside I felt comforted by the plush furniture and chic design yet a bit out of place as I was the only guest without a buzzcut and a Korean lady friend at my side! Oh well, I pulled out a Time to keep me company while I waited for my food. I looked at the menu for no more than a second before declaring that I would take the pad thai and a large portion would be much appreciated! Well, I got one of the two anyways. . .

While the portion I was served seemed more appropriate for a "I'm not really in to eating" type restaurant, the food itself was terrific! I ploughed through my dish of chicken pad thai in what could not have been more than twenty five seconds! With about a bite left, at around second number twenty, I remembered that my 'lunch special' came with spring rolls. Excuse me, 'Yooogiiiyoooo', I dare say, you've forgotten my spring rolls, and, while you're at it, may I have the other half of this dish please, you seem to have served me only a fragment of my true portion.

I received two spring rolls. . .and only a confused look with regards to additional pad thai! Oh well, at least I know where not to go when hungry! I settled my 12,000 won tab (stupid Itaewon restaurants think they can get away with charging tax!) and hit the pavement.

I was just about to enter the subway to return home when I noticed a rather large cafe with outdoor seating that I did not recall seeing before. Perhaps this is because they do not keep a dozen tables with sun umbrellas outside late on Friday nights but then again, maybe they should reconsider. I ventured closer and unwillingly caught the attention of a waitress/hostess/owner/dear-friend-of-the-establishment who ushered me inside. I took a moment looking around and then inquired as to whether or not they served "good" coffee. I was assured that it was fantastic and took a seat outside on the street front, despite the howling Siberian winds. . . .well, they were kinda cold!

As I was brought a too-small-for-your-hands cup of too-strong-for-your-own-good coffee I suddenly lost myself. Perhaps it was the knock of Delacroix mural in front of me or the small chocolate that came with my coffee but I swear, for a second there I truly thought I was at a Parisian cafe and only minutes away from a hot gyro in the alleyways behind Notre Dame. . . unfortunately this sensation lasted for only a moment as a waitress/call girl/tailor/maid/bartendress passed in front of me with a steaming plate of animal parts that I pray they do not eat in the rest of the world! Oh well. . .at least there were no French waiters to usher you out of the place indicating that you were clearly taking up valuable space that could be much better wasted on someone in a scarf with a thin moostachio!

I took my time with my 35 centiliters of coffee as I was sure it would cost me double my subway ride home. . .which it did! No regrets however as computed my total morning expenditures and realized that with the won at what it is, I had only spent a mere 62 cents on my meal, desert and costume!

So as of now, I'm one piece closer to being not too many pieces away from a full costume!

We'll see what I can throw together tomorrow morning!

No comments: