Sunday, October 12, 2008

Teaching Blues

After a fun filled week of exploring the greater Seoul area I returned this past week to my job, teaching, less you had forgotten. In fact, I almost had forgotten what exactly it is that I was supposed to be doing, having not taught a single class in over four weeks. Alas, my hiatus had to come to an end and it did so this past Monday.

A few weeks ago we were given new textbooks as the last TOEFLing ones had been completed by the students. These new books actually looked much more exciting as their contents are bright and colorful. . . which speaks nothing of their content. I now have four books that I teach from; one Speaking, one Writing for each Level 2 and 3. I'm not sure what the levels actually correspond to or how they are determined as it seems a bit arbitrary. For example, Nate has two classes, with different teachers where the students are supposedly the same level yet one teacher uses a higher Level book, hm.

A few weeks ago, Moon Young (my Monday/Tuesday teacher) has been requesting that we meet to discuss the new book. During our idle week I would go to her room day in and day out asking when she would like to meet. Each time I showed up however she apologized for not having reviewed the book yet and assured me that we would meet in the future. This continued for a week until the Thursday before I actually had to begin teaching again.

By that time, Moon Young had taken the time to look at the book, determine that it is too easy for the students, and decide that it is my responsibility to figure out how and what to teach. This all sounds fine and great except that nothing of the sort is actually true. Some of the book, such as the dinky little dialogues, are at a level that the students can comprehend. However, some of the lessons, such as doing 'popcorn stories' or debating are a little bit over their heads.

As for me deciding how and what to teach, well, that sounds great in theory. The only issue is that it's not at all true. At our 'meeting' Moon Young proceeded to tell me which pages to skip (a good majority of them) and which pages to 'do.' I can handle the skipped pages, that part doesn't worry me. It's the pages that I have to 'do' that become more interesting. 'Do this page,' is literally the only instruction I get and inquiring as to how or what yields only blank stares!

It's not that the subject matter is difficult or convoluted, it's that there simply is no good way to teach the material. Do you have one kid read, or multiple kids read? How many students do I make answer the questions? What about those that refuse to answer? Do I continue to urge them to speak (which often just makes them withdraw further) or just move on? What about timing? If we are behind time should I speed things up and ask fewer questions just to get through the lesson? Or is it more important to ensure that the kids have an understanding of the material presented? None of these questions am I offered any sort of an answer for.

Moon Young has helped to break the sections down into time limits for me, as have Anna and Elle (the new teacher to replace Ji-Young). The only issue with this is that, well, there are a number. First of all, the sections do not add up to the 2 hours with a five minute break that is allotted for each class. Instead I am given about 3 or so hours of material. Second, much of the material, especially from the Speaking book, requires student participation. Thus, as the class size varies, so to does the amount of time that needs to be spent on each section. This is where I am most confused as to the point of what we are doing.

Never has it been made apparent to me that the primary purpose of our teaching is the students' education. Rather, the emphasis is always placed on finishing the lesson and completing the book as quickly as possible. For example, in the higher level classes I now teach two lessons a week so that we can finish the book in only one month. While this might sound like a fantastic way to challenge the top students, it clearly does not take their education in to mind. In order to fit two lessons in to the time scheduled for one, half of each lesson (or more) is removed from my plate. In turn, the students do the same amount of work that they would otherwise but devour their DYB researched, produced and published books twice as fast. . . .hmmm, I wonder why they emphasis burning through the books so quickly!?

Anyways, I'm not all complaints! The new books are actually a lot more interesting, both for myself and, I believe, the students. Additionally, starting fresh at the beginning of a book is much more comfortable then just jumping in to the middle of one as we did upon arrival. At least the Korean teachers and I are in the same boat in terms of unfamiliarity with the material and how it should be presented. This I think buys me a little bit of slack although it can be hard to come across in a Hogwan.

For example, which could essentially be never ending, Anna told me that I did an 'okay' job in her classes on Thursday and that they seemed to learn a lot. I was proud of this until Friday when I was told that I was doing much better because the previous day's lessons were not so good. At Anna's suggestion, or more so declaration, I have been trying to incorporate vocabulary and expressions pertaining to the topic in to my lessons. From my point of view I have been doing a good job of this, making sure that each class is exposed to at least five new key expressions or words that can be used in daily conversation. Anna seems to be impressed too, sometimes.

After class the other day she told me that I did alright but that it would be better if I told the kids words that were related to legal trials, 'such as capital punishment.' This seemed a bit odd but slightly relevant because we read a story about a girl who stole something. I agreed with Anna and suggested that I did in fact introduce them to a few new words and different types of punishment. She agreed but indicated that 'trial' words are very important for this lesson. I said that I understand but was not sure what to do as my classes were over and next week would bring a new topic. Nevertheless, Anna insisted that I agree to teach them trial words. . .okay, done deal. . .though I don't think she meant next week, and I don't think she meant after class. . .so, the only thing I can imagine is that she wanted me to retroactively teach them something.

Again, on Friday, she asked that I teach my classes words about punishment, which I did. To be more precise, she said that I should teach them the word 'physical punishment.' She gave no definition or context but simply said that the word needed to be taught. . .so it was.

After I introduced the word she had suggested, I added 'suspension,' 'detention,' and 'expulsion' to the students' growing vocabulary. Anna was enthralled. After the first class she insisted that I continue teaching these words to the following classes but write out sentences and then have them do the same. I did this. Following the next class Anna again pulled me aside to let me know that she was very worried that we didn't finish the lesson. Which, I realized, but figured that it would be okay as we spent five extra minutes learning new words that she had suggested. Furthermore I figured it was not a big deal as I hadn't finished really any of the lessons due to their taking at least 3 hours to get through in full. I asked what she suggested that I do and she said to finish the lesson.

So, for the next class I took less time on vocabulary and managed to just squeeze in the last section of the day, having only to skip one relatively unimportant page. After class Ana let me know that she was disappointed that I didn't do as good of a job teaching the vocabulary as I did before.....I hate this job.

I don't mean to be negative. . .honestly! At times, when I have a good class (meaning one where the students respond to me as if I'm a human being) I enjoy teaching. It's fun running through the book as fast as possible while making sure that you're being understood and that the kids are learning. It's even better if the Korean teacher is not in the room to ensure you that anything you do is wrong. Which it is. Believe me. However I simply cannot stand not being told what to do and then told that I'm doing it wrong or poorly. What's worse is then being told that I'm still doing something just as bad when I modify it to meet previous complaints. As past teachers are continually lauded in our presence I have multiple times asked what I should do to be a good teacher too. . .and am told nothing.

Last week really wasn't all that bad. I got through it in one piece and felt comfortable with the book. After work none if it really matters and none of the negativity lingers around more than five minutes after I leave. I simply hate being there. I know that's why they call it 'work' and not 'fun,' but ugh, what a stupid way to hustle kids and their unknowing parents out of thousands of dollars, or, $300 a month to be more precise.

To be honest only about a third of the kids that attend DYB should continue to attend in my opinion. A good number of them clearly have no interest in learning English and do not even pretend to try. Others will participate in the lessons but only by reciting or copying things directly from the book or their neighbor. . .they do just enough to get by. Not the way to learn a language. The other third. . .and by this I mean maybe 10% of my total students, show a genuine interest in listening, speaking and learning English. . .these are my angels. Everyone else is a waste of time. . . call if baised, tell me I don't have patience, say "that's what teaching is about, you can't just push those that are ahead and squander those that fall behind," you can tell me I'm too negative or you can tell me to "just give it time," and I will tell you to come to Korea and teach at DYB.

I realize that what I've just written probably makes little to no sense to you and holds little sway on paper. . .or screen, whatever. The only point I'm trying to make is, well, I don't know if I am trying to make a point. I just feel like I have to in some way let people know what exactly it is that I put up with on a day to day basis as it is so far from any real job that I could imagine. Please don't waste your breath trying to convince me otherwise. We have no real assignments, no tasks, no deadlines, no due dates, no real boss but not real authority, no say, and certainly no understanding. . .of anything. I wish I could better convey our true work environment but I cannot, simply because I am not that expressive of a writer.

If it helps, imagine my dad coming to visit us at work while he was here. He introduced himself to the teachers who immediately greeted him, "Hi Lloy!" He then proceeded to thank them for allowing us to work with them and tried to buy some sympathy points by explaining how big and drastic of a commitment it was for us to come all the way here to work. No more than three words into his manifesto did the teachers begin smiling a bowing, a sign that they understand nothing. Concluding his address, the continued bowing while resorting to stage two of the Korean 'I don't understand you' process, giggling.

These are the women we work for/with.

This is annoying.

So is living a 45 minute subway ride from the city center of Seoul. So is living a 25 min walk from the nearest subway station. So is having a recruiter who fails to mention any of this to you (but otherwise did a pretty good job, no offense Scot).

Oh yeah, and so is the won being at it's all time low in over a decade. That's annoying too.

Friday night we accompanied Cleo, Michelle and Julia to an awesome dinner at a Japanese restaurant called Pacific Ocean Tuna. We originally ordered a massive plate of sashimi for five that would have been more than enough food given the two dozen side dishes including an absolutely delectable rice porridge. However, as the waitress/owner/operator/chef took an immediately liking to Nate and I (or so we were led to believe) we were graced with absurd amounts additional food throughout the night at no cost. At one point we were presented with a second platter of sashimi, essentially doubling our original order, for not a penny more. We were then brought a whole additional plate of sushi and second, then third portions of a smoked tuna dish that everyone at the table enjoyed! It was an awesome meal. That's all I can say about it.

Yesterday we made the hike up N Seoul Tower. As LP said it was literally "uphill all the way" from the subway station. Climbing a hill, using stairs thankfully, in the middle of Seoul we were offered some simply fantastic views of the city just as the sun was beginning to set. A top the twoer, reached by a 45 min or so climb followed by a 7,000won entrane fee and 2 minute elevator ride, the views are even better. You can see all of Seoul in every which direction. . .but of course not where we live. . . .as we're simply not really in Seoul. . .thanks again Scot!

The area surrounding the tower was remarkably clean and well operated. There are a number of small stores as well as a few restaurants that all look as though they just opened. We were lucky enough to catch a dance performance in the big courtyard set to the music of Korea's popstars Wondergirls! Along the outer fence surrounding the tower are thousands of small padlocks with writing on them. We managed to figure out that they somehow represent love between two people. . .which, in Korea, for Koreans, is not that easy to come by. . .but more on that later!

The hike up to the tower was really fantastic and something, if not the thing, that I would recommend for anyone coming to visit! Sorry you missed it dad, from what you say I'm sure you'll be back to check it out.

Anyways, that's about all. . . I know I wrote a lot about nothing and very little about something but I was clearly just irritated and wanted to vent it. . . .which does nothing so I don't know why I waste the time. Please expect shorter posts from now on. . .not that you care, or actually expect anything, so I guess be warned. . .not that there's really anything to warn about.

It's just life here is starting to settle down to the point of regularity in which case I don't have a great deal to talk about except for the little things that I might find mildly entertaining.

Such as walking down the street in Itaewon and meeting a kid from Cheboygan, MI who was coached by Jeff Lyon, my freshmen year soccer coach!

See how well that went!! I could have easily dragged that out into a few paragraphs but managed to get the point across in a sentence. Let's try again.

I gave my little Chia Pet man a hair cut the other day as his head was getting rather messy!
Wow, so much more interesting and informative then a rambling right!?

Get used to it!