Monday, December 15, 2008

Season Finale!

And so it was. . . on a cold Sunday afternoon, the Han River Spitfires took the field against a rejuvenated Democrats of America in Republic of Korea, or DA-ROK, for the final match of the SSFL 2008 Fall Season. Greatly out numbering their opponents in the previous match up, the HRS were able to rack up double digit goals in what could only be described as an all out rout! DA-ROK must have learned from their previous mistakes however and came fully prepared to play. . .well almost, they were still a player short of a full squad which worked out well as we were short a man too!

Despite the number being more even this time around, Han River managed to entirely dominate the game, playing a style of possession ball that had been all too elusive during the rest of the season. It didn't take long for our star center midfielder, highly acclaimed narcissist and unabashed womanizer, Joseph, to slop a beautiful ball over the opposing keeper's head and under the cross bar, opening up a Spitfire lead that would only grow throughout the game.

Before taking the pitch, our ever so subtle Korean teammates reminded the three wayguk, David, James and I, that we three were still yet to score on the season. Yet, of course, James and I were assigned to hold down the back while David, with his more than slightly sub-sonic speed was put out on the wing, left to the mercy of Joseph's uncatchably fast through balls.

With fewer players on what is normally an over crowded pitch, I quickly grew comfortable in my role as stopper/defending center midfielder. Having more space, and, fewer players, allowed me to push up further than I would normally, only needing to keep a distant eye on DA-ROK's less than threatening striker, who, to be honest, should have been playing anything but a sport involving coordination.

To no surprise, my numerous efforts to work my way up inside the opponent's goalie box continued to come up empty handed. Despite finding my self at the business end of a a few successful give 'n gos, a rebound off the crossbar and even a botched ball by the keeper that I ended up turning into an assist, I remained scoreless. . . for the first twenty five minutes.

In a quick transition out of our backfield I passed the ball out wide and took off up field at about half speed. As I passed Joseph at about midfield he yelled at me to go and score, telling me this was my chance. I wasted no time looking back and no energy considering his backhanded jeer. Rather, I keep ploughing down the field, always glad to use my extra energy on unnecessary runs. As the ball was crossed from the outside, DA-ROK's relatively rock solid sweeper managed to shank the ball just enough to pop it up in to my oncoming path. Still in full stride I took the ball down with one touch and laced a brilliant near post laser with my second. . . . finally!

I strode back confidently, making sure to swing by Joseph to thank him for his encouragement to which he offered a friendly, I told you so! While I had managed to finally produce offensively, I was hardly relieved of my defensive duties. Ammar, Joseph, New Guy, and I managed to hold down the back only allowing our keeper, 'Hands' (or, Han D. S. to be more specific) to rack up a single save. We went in to halftime up by a good couple goals, with a clean sheet on the other side to show for it!

Unfortunately, our clean sheet would eventually disappear, as DA-ROK managed to slip a few past a perhaps overconfident and certainly complacent Spitfire team. However, the game was far from over on Han River's side. Ammar managed to pick himself up a goal playing striker on the opposite end of the field from where he normally finds himself. Finding himself at the right place at the right time, David managed to pick up not only one but a pair of sloppy second goals! Back at defense, I had more than enough time to wait patiently and pick my battles.

Finally, an opportunity arose. With the ball buried in DA-ROK's half Joseph managed to win us a corner kick which he stood to take. Coming up from the back field I found my self an unguarded patch of green at the top of the box and indicated to Joseph that I needed that kick. True to form he dropped a dime a foot in front of me and two feet off my head, just enough space for me to launch into the air above the over crowded box and smash the ball off my cranium in to the back of the opposing net. . .all while getting a great birds eye view of the stunned keeper from my stellar heights!

I again thanked Joseph and surprisingly received a congratulatory remark in return, though clearly well deserved ;-)

I retired to play wing back for the final 10 minutes or so of the game, allowing James to get a chance attacking the net, though he was in the end unsuccessful. Hanging in the back however did not stop my lust for offensive productivity. At any open chance I would dart feverishly up the sideline calling for all and any through balls as I had decided long ago I could not only beat any of their defenders to the ball but could get back to cover my man by the time they made a transition. . .sure, a bit cocky, but it was working!

I had a good couple of runs with balls played beautifully from Sun and Joseph though my hatrick proved to be elusive. Finally, on a through ball from Sun I broke free, shook the keeper with some happy feet and 'meged him, through the five hole, for a score. . . which, Sun, playing referee in the absence of an 'official,' called back due to offsides! There goes my 'trick! Oh well. . . I had another couple chances but soon quit after taking a full blast from the opposing goalie in the side of my foot which today is as black as the turf pellets I pull out of my knees after each game.

The game ended with a final score somewhere around 8-3. . .though I'm not entirely sure. We celebrated the win, and season, with our diminutive squad at Two-Two Chicken as darkness fell over Apgujeong. While I don't think I'll be winning any league wide awards at Saturday's SSFL banquet (though someone did suggest most improved player, for my late 'appearance' as an offender), I had an awesome time this season and can hardly wait until Spring league starts up, sometime in late February I believe!

To top it all off, I managed to close out the season as Man of the Match (as I'm currently up in the weekly poll, supported by Sun Uk's endorsement)! Two goals and the game ball. . .not a bad way to end the season. . .now the only question is, what to do with my Sundays!?

No comments: